Cantina Frentana is a cooperative company made up by 400 winegrowers, mainly small family companies, who cultivate about 1000 hectares of vineyards on the Frentana hills: a strip of territory that extends between the last slopes of the Majella mountain and the magnificent Costa dei Trabocchi, in the south of Abruzzo.
A land of vineyards and olive groves, crossed by creeks flowing between wooded valleys.
The generous limestone soil, the gentle alternation of sea and land breezes, the mitigating action of the sea enhance the vocation of this area to a high-quality viticulture, focused almost entirely on native vines. A vocation listened and welcomed by expert winegrowers, aware that the quality of the wine depends above all on the quality of the fruit.
A new lighthouse shines on the Frentani vineyards
Cantina Frentana was founded as a winemaking cooperative in 1958 by a group of “pioneer” winegrowers led by the mayor Francesco D’Agostino, while the first harvest took place in 1960.
Since then, the company has continuously grown in size, number of members and turnover, going through both favorable and difficult moments, but always with the determination to accomplish its mission, becoming one of the most important cooperatives in southern-central Italy.